I used leftover turkey sausage from breakfast to make Dashing Dish’s Pizzuchini. It like pizza toppings on a little zucchini boat. Fun and delicous. It doesn’t hurt that it is so easy as well!
- 2 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 lb (2 c) lean turkey sausage
- 1/4 c onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 c pasta sauce (100 calories or less per serving)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp basil
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large non-stick skillet, combine ground turkey, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and basil.
- Cook over med-high heat until turkey is brown and cooked through.
- While the turkey is cooking, make the ‘zucchini boats’ by scooping the seeds from center of each zucchini half, using a spoon . This will make 4 ‘zucchini boats’. Set boats in baking dish, placing them side by side.
- Once the ground turkey is browned (drain most liquidy fat) , add the pasta sauce and parmesan cheese to the skillet, and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Spoon turkey mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of each boat.
- Bake zucchini boats for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
Honorable Mention….My roommate Mary made her boyfriend this lovely meal.
A Bulgarian (her bf is Bulgarian 🙂 ) pork dish that does not have an official name.
I think she did a great job and the apartment smelled amazing!!
Next time she can do a guest post. How fun!